Sunday 9 July 2017

Satin (A Material World #2) by K.C. Wells



180 pages
Cover artist: Meredith Russell
Buy links: Amazon.com | Amazon UK
Available on KU

Blurb

Can a touch of Satin bring a straight copper to his knees?

Detective Joel Hunter is on surveillance when he first lays eyes on Satin, the singer with the amazing voice, which is as beautiful as she is. But when the stake-out comes to an end, he can’t resist going back to the bar. He gets a shock when he learns what lies beneath the satin dress, but an even bigger one when he realizes he’s attracted to the owner of that sultry voice - Ross Dauntry. 

Ross can’t figure out why the cop keeps coming back, even after he’s learned the truth. Is Joel attracted to him, or to Satin? Because the answer is important, and one way or another, Ross needs to know…

46,000 words. A standalone novella of satin and sensuality... 

Although this story is in the same series as Lace, you will not find Dave and Shawn in these pages - Joel and Ross provide enough heat of their own. 


Review

Before I get into my review proper of this charming, delightful, and sexy story I want to say that while Satin may be the second book in a series, there is no reason why you couldn’t read it as a stand-alone. That’s not to say that I don’t urge you to read Lace too, but you can do on either side of reading Satin.

The problem with giving five stars to a book is that officially you can’t go any higher. And I have to admit that no matter how much I adored Lace, I loved Satin even more. I felt closer to the main characters in this book, I got a bit more drawn into their dilemmas. In fact, and I might as well be honest about it, I fell a little bit in love with both Joel and Ross while reading Satin.

I loved that the big issue in this story wasn’t Joel’s bisexuality. It may take him a short while to get his head around the fact that for the first time ever he wants to act on the attraction for another man he feels, he doesn’t obsess about it or try to deny it. No, the angst in this story is the result of both men’s past experiences with (failed) relationships. Ross doesn’t trust Joel’s reasons for being attracted to him and, after that issue has been result doesn’t believe he will stick around. Joel, on the other hand, has a hard time believing that it is possible to fall hard, fast, and deeply for someone he’s only known for a few weeks. It takes these two men a while before they get their acts together and talk and listen to each other for long enough to realise that they’re actually on the same page. But their journey towards that point is intriguing, at times very hot, and both humorous and angsty in just the right proportion.

As I’ve come to expect from this author the secondary characters were a refreshing, necessary and delightful addition to the story. Just as it wasn’t a surprise that the writing smoothly pulled me along, or that the story captivated me. By this stage I’m pretty sure in the knowledge that when I pick up a book by K.C. Wells I’m about to start a story I will lose myself in. Satin once again confirmed all those qualities.


Related review: Lace


No comments:

Post a Comment